Paddlers: Adele, Ann, Fergus, Douglas, Mark, Geoff and Hugh

Weather: Cold, damp and windy

Report: The initial plan was to paddle from Cragendoran to Mark Cottage , stay the night and return. Day trippers could join/leave at different locations en route. The original good weather forecast degenerated throughout the week  until it became clear that the return leg would not be possible. A decision was then made to start from Coulport.

The shore at Coulport

The shore at Coulport

A Bouncy Sea

A Bouncy Sea

The sea was quite bouncy but the trainees did extremely well and the group was well disciplined and cohesive. The crossing to Ardentinny was quickly accomplished and we pushed on to the beach for a break and use of the excellent toilets . The delightful picnic was periodically interrupted by sleet showers.

Group Having Picnic

Group Having Picnic

Then it was back to the boats and further up the loch.

The Ardentinny Beach

The Ardentinny Beach

As the loch narrowed the following swell increased in height with the occasional one breaking. The instability this caused was uncomfortable and after about 20 minutes the decision was taken to abort the expedition, primarily because the chances of getting back in the light were diminishing rapidly. A battle against the swell and wind then followed as we pushed back down to Coulport. The MOD police in their  boats, were, for the first time ever, noticeably absent and a more direct route to the shore was followed.

What might be surprising is how positive everybody was about the trip. It was cold, wet, windy and thoroughly enjoyable.

 

 

« »