Helensburgh Canoe Club (HCC) is fully committed to safeguarding the welfare of all children in its care. It recognises the responsibility to promote safe practice and to protect children from harm, abuse and exploitation.
We will work together to embrace difference and diversity and respect the rights of children and young people.
This document outlines the club’s commitment to protecting children.
These guidelines are based on the following principles:
The welfare of children is the primary concern.
All children, whatever their age, culture, disability, gender, language, racial origin, socio-economic status, religious belief and/or sexual identity have the right to protection from all forms of harm and abuse.
Child protection is everyone’s responsibility.
Children have the right to express views on all matters that affect them, should they wish to do so.
Organisations shall work in partnership together with children and parents to promote the welfare, health and development of children.
The club will:
- Promote the health and welfare of children by providing opportunities for them to take part in paddlesport safely.
- Respect and promote the rights, wishes and feelings of children.
- Promote and implement appropriate procedures to safeguard the well being of children and protect them from abuse.
- Encourage members to undertake training and adopt best practice to safeguard and protect children from abuse and to reduce risk to themselves
- Require members to adopt and abide by this Child Protection Policy and associated procedures.
- Respond to any allegations of misconduct or abuse of children in line with this Policy and associated procedures as well as implementing, where appropriate, relevant disciplinary and appeals procedures.
- Observe guidelines issued by local Child Protection Committees for the protection of children.
- Regularly monitor and evaluate the implementation of this Policy and these procedures.
This Policy and associated Procedures will be reviewed:
- In accordance with changes in legislation and guidance on the protection of children following the advice of the Scottish Canoe Association (SCA)
- Following any issues or concerns raised about the protection of children within the club
To contact the Child Protection and Welfare Officer, use the form below: