The round Kerrera Race from Oban took place last weekend (4th Sept) and I am delighted to report the success of Sue Smith and Ruth Clark. Sue became the veteran ladies champion and took 2nd place in the Open Ladies category in a remarkable time of 2hrs 40mins for the 20km paddle (took me all day). Ruth was close behind and took third place in 2hrs 46mins. Many congratulations
We are offering 3 courses in September and October
1. Basic Skills. This is intended for members with little or no experience and consists of 7 pool sessions starting Sept 14th and 3 open water sessions on 18th Sept, 10th October and 23rd October with a 2 BCU Star/ Paddlepower assessment for those who want provisionally on the 30th October. There are up to 8 places. Minimum age 12. Cost is £20 plus assessment costs. Register before 14th September by email or at the pool on the 7th (tonight). Pay on the 14th. Membership forms available at pool.
2. Advanced Sea Skills. This is intended for experienced sea kayakers developing safety and rescue techniques (including rolling). Please contact Hugh
3. Open Canoe Skills. This is intended for adult members who want to develop skills in open boats. Particularly relevant to those who do or would like to coach youngsters. 4 sessions starting this Saturday 11th and on the 25th September and 9th October. Register at the pool.
In November we expect to start 2 further courses
1. Sea Kayak Expedition Training. Intended for those who want to take part in and organise expeditions. Covers basic safety and rescue skills (including self rescue and rolling), equipment (emergency, camping and clothing) and navigation (understanding tides and charts, planning)
2. Rescue and Rolling. A follow up for those who have acquired the Basic Skills.
A pool session is available at the Helensburgh Pool on a Tuesday from 8.15 to 9pm. Meet outside by 8pm.
You will need to be a member and the cost is £3 per session. You may bring your own boat provided it is spotlessly clean.
Over 20 members have enjoyed a Wednesday evening cruise with the club during the school holidays. The list of trips follows:
30 River Leven
2/3 Arden Camp
14 Loch Long: Very Windy. A real challenge
Geoff, Stewart, Seylan, Robin, Callum, Chris, Mel
21 Balamaha: Wet, Breezy
Geoff, Mel, Callum, Robin
28 Inverbeg: Rowardennan: Lovely Evening
Geoff, Robin, Stewart, Dave
4 Duck Bay to Inchmurrin and Round: Beautiful and Calm
Geoff, Mel, Natalie, Stewart, Damien, Callum, Robin, Colin Redstone, Alan, Sue, Seylan, Dave
11 Coulport to Ardentinny. Windy and Grey
Geoff, Hugh, Natalie, Derek, Stewart
18 Clyde to Sugar Boat. Lovely Evening. Light Breeze
Geoff, Mel, Damien, Dave B, Myles, Myles Mate, Donald Craig, Callum, Ross, Natalie
The Training Sessions finish with the Canoe Camp to Inchcailloch this Saturday (July 4th) but the club will continue with trips and Polo throughout the summer. Keep an eye on the website and your email for details but there will be a trip next Wednesday evening July 7th and a long sea trip, probably to Skye and Harris, in August.
Most of the gear has now arrived and we have 3 Canoes, 7 River Boats and a Trailer available to members. We are now seeking a long term home for the equipment.
This is the first of many posts.