This was a short gentle stunning trip through the islands to end the summer season. Loch was flat calm and it was a beautiful evening. Attending as photographed: Mike, Natalie, Sam, Dave, Callum, Mel, Ross and Angus. Not pictured – Geoff who took the picture and the three camera shy wallabies.
Over 20 members have enjoyed a Wednesday evening cruise with the club during the school holidays. The list of trips follows:
30 River Leven
2/3 Arden Camp
14 Loch Long: Very Windy. A real challenge
Geoff, Stewart, Seylan, Robin, Callum, Chris, Mel
21 Balamaha: Wet, Breezy
Geoff, Mel, Callum, Robin
28 Inverbeg: Rowardennan: Lovely Evening
Geoff, Robin, Stewart, Dave
4 Duck Bay to Inchmurrin and Round: Beautiful and Calm
Geoff, Mel, Natalie, Stewart, Damien, Callum, Robin, Colin Redstone, Alan, Sue, Seylan, Dave
11 Coulport to Ardentinny. Windy and Grey
Geoff, Hugh, Natalie, Derek, Stewart
18 Clyde to Sugar Boat. Lovely Evening. Light Breeze
Geoff, Mel, Damien, Dave B, Myles, Myles Mate, Donald Craig, Callum, Ross, Natalie
The weather forecast was force 4 plus winds and a decision was taken early on to abandon Inchcailloch as a target and Inchvannach was arranged as a substitute. By Friday night we had become really worried about the forecast for Sunday morning and, given the age of our group, decided that an island trip was not on. Rather than let down our youngsters, at least one of whom had never camped, we arranged at the last moment to camp at Arden, on the mainland, and do as much as we could from there.
Arden is a lovely site free from animals and with its own beach. We were delighted to find that the owner had kindly cut the grass and, all in all, it was a close to perfect choice in the light of the prevailing weather.
We had enjoyable paddles to the North before dinner and south after and, though it was breezy, the wind was nearer force 2 than 4.
A good fire, good food (despite the extremely charred sausages) and good company led a a pleasant evening.
Apart from the occasional “spit” the weather stayed dry until about 10pm when light rain commenced. A quickly erected shelter kept us dry for the rest of the evening. Sometime after 6am, however, the promised heavy rain commenced, albeit without the promised high winds. Reluctance by the youngsters to venture out of their tents and the continuing downpour led to a decision to abandon canoeing. By 10 am the promised high winds started to move in (along with the rain) finally confirming that our decision to abandon the islands was probably correct.
The Training Sessions finish with the Canoe Camp to Inchcailloch this Saturday (July 4th) but the club will continue with trips and Polo throughout the summer. Keep an eye on the website and your email for details but there will be a trip next Wednesday evening July 7th and a long sea trip, probably to Skye and Harris, in August.
Most of the gear has now arrived and we have 3 Canoes, 7 River Boats and a Trailer available to members. We are now seeking a long term home for the equipment.
The decision to go to Skye was made on the morning of the departure after wind forecasts suggested the Jura route would not be possible/pleasant. Skye proved an excellent choice, albeit windy and testing at times. On days one and two we were pushed by a strongish wind southward, covering a planned three days to Glen Brittle in two. Because of the wind, swell and forecast, for the third and fourth days we opted for the more sheltered Loch Eishort.
A group of six made the drive up to Loch Striven. In calm waters, we paddled down the loch, round the anchored Maersk tankers and back again. Despite the odd squally shower, it was a most pleasant day.
This is the first of many posts.